What Is Commercial Litigation?
Posted in Litigation on June 6, 2022
Business owners need to manage a wide range of activities and comply with lots of rules and regulations. It is very common for an entity to find itself embroiled in a complex legal dispute, necessitating the need for legal representation.
Commercial litigation can refer to a wide range of legal matters that a business may be involved in. Engaging in these complex legal disputes can be a daunting and challenging experience, which is why it is important for organizations of all sizes to enlist the support of a Texas commercial litigation attorney.
Understanding Commercial Litigation
Commercial litigation arises when one or more parties in a civil lawsuit is a business entity. Compared to criminal cases, which focus on levying penalties on a person engaged in criminal activity, civil litigation involves enforcing or defending a legal right. Oftentimes, the defendant is required to pay a monetary settlement to a plaintiff.
The main difference between commercial litigation and other types of civil cases is who is involved in the case. Because businesses are involved in these claims, commercial litigation is often more complex than matters involving individuals. Many commercial lawsuits involve breaches of fiduciary duty, security laws, and contract claims.
Examples of Commercial Litigation Cases
Simply put, commercial litigation involves any civil dispute where one party is a business entity. There are several types of legal matters that a business may be involved in, such as the following:
- Product liability lawsuits
- Bad faith claims
- Fraud actions
- Tax disputes
- Breach of contract lawsuits
- Antitrust litigation
- Business torts
- Employment matters
- Securities litigation
- Shareholder matters
- Class action lawsuits
- Cases involving breach of duty
- Legal actions from debtors or creditors
- Claims involving insurance coverage
- Intellectual property cases
- Trade secrets lawsuits
Why You Need an Attorney for Your Business Dispute
For many businesses, litigation is often unavoidable. You are very likely to face this legal risk if you own or operate an entity. If you are left without legal representation, you could struggle to achieve the optimal outcome for your case.
Commercial litigation lawyers are trained in handling these complex business disputes. They understand the law surrounding these matters and can advise you and your stakeholders on your optimal course of legal action.
Hiring an attorney to represent your business in commercial litigation can provide several benefits to your case:
- Your lawyer can represent you during negotiations and in the courtroom.
- Your attorney can enlist the help of expert witnesses who can strengthen your business’s case and testify on your behalf.
- Your lawyer can clearly explain your business’s legal rights and obligations and advise you on making important decisions.
- Your attorney can help your business remain in compliance with the law and help prevent legal problems from developing.
- Your lawyer can handle all business disputes on your behalf so you can focus on running your business, promoting efficiency.
Speak to a Texas Commercial Litigation Lawyer
If you own or run a business, legal conflicts will likely arise. In these situations, you need an attorney on your side who can represent your organization’s best interests and work tirelessly to achieve the optimal outcome.
Don’t wait to seek legal representation. Contact a Texas commercial litigation lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your business’s legal needs.