Kyle Baum is a Partner handling Texas civil litigation matters and property disputes. He focuses on representing and protecting Texas landowners facing real estate, condemnation, and eminent domain lawsuits. He has handled cases involving the taking of vacant land, ranches, homes, businesses, shopping centers, restaurants, churches, convenience stores, gas stations, mines, quarries, industrial parks, and manufacturing plants. He regularly assists Texas landowners against takings by the State of Texas, cities, counties, oil and gas companies, pipeline companies, and electric transmission line companies.
Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters has recognized Kyle as a “Texas Rising Star” in the area of Eminent Domain Law for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
Kyle graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 2006 with a B.A. in Government. He then spent time working for both the Texas House of Representatives and Texas Senate before attending Texas Tech University School of Law, where he graduated in 2012. There, he was the Lead Articles Editor of the Texas Tech Law Review and a member of the Board of Barristers. While in law school, he worked for the United States Attorneys’ Office for the Northern District of Texas, the Office of the Attorney General of Texas, and the Washington Legal Foundation. He is admitted to practice in Texas (2012) and the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas. He is a member of the Texas Young Lawyers Association, the Austin Bar Association, and the Austin Young Lawyers Association.
B.A., Government, University of Texas at Austin, 2006
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, 2012 (Texas Tech Law Review; Board of Barristers)
Publications and Presentations
- “Eminent Domain for Texas Landowners” – Texas A&M AgriLife Extension – Owning Your Piece of Texas: Key Laws Texas Landowners Need to Know, Conroe, Texas, February 7, 2022
- “Eminent Domain” – Brazoria County Bar Association, Angleton, Texas, January 14, 2022
“2021’s Public Infrastructure Impact to the Texas Real Estate Community” – Commercial Real Estate Association of Montgomery County, The Woodlands, Texas, February 10, 2021
“The Administrative Phase of the Texas Condemnation Process” – Guest Lecturer, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, September 17, 2020
- “Eminent Domain for Real Estate Professions” – Commercial Real Estate Association of Montgomery County, The Woodlands, Texas, April 10, 2019
- “Eminent Domain’s Expanding Impacts” – Austin Bar Association Environmental Law Section CLE, Austin, Texas, March 7, 2019
- “Eminent Domain: Procedures, Practices, and Valuation” – Bell County Conservation Expo, Belton, Texas, September 20, 2018
- “Inverse Condemnation After Hurricane Harvey” – Town Hall Meeting, Katy, Texas, September 7, 2017
- “Eminent Domain and Private Property Rights” – Guest Lecturer, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, October 12, 2016
- “The Fundamentals of Eminent Domain” – KSHN 99.9FM “The Partyline” – Liberty County Bar Association, Liberty, Texas, January 8, 2016
- “The Fundamentals of Eminent Domain” – KSHN 99.9FM “The Partyline” – Liberty County Bar Association, Liberty, Texas, November 6, 2015
- “Texas Eminent Domain Practices and Procedures” – Brazoria County Bar Association, Angleton, Texas, February 13, 2015
- “The Fundamentals of Eminent Domain” – Town Hall Meeting, Sealy, Texas, March 12, 2014